Monday, May 31, 2010

Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic. I've Arrived



My day of traveling wasn't the most fun either.
I started it off with only 2 hours of sleep (b/c i was nervous, anxious, and stuffed up), I also woke up with a swollen left eye that was so red I couldn't see the white part of it. My nose was also red from being blown, and I was still really stuffed up. I'm not sure what I was allergic to, or if the fact that I had a lot of makeup on t
he day before made any difference, who knows? I immediately put on my glasses and started my trip to the airport, my good friend David Maurer drove me.
Then I realized that I had left my make-up bag with no
t only my make-up in it, but my toothbrush, other toiletries, and the phone charger I needed. I silently tried not to get frustrated, and just prayed that the
battery would last for the time I needed it to.
I've never traveled internationally by myself, and for some reason I was scared, nervous, and freaking out to say the least. It's a completely different ballgame than traveling home to Cali alone. I think I talked to one person, for a little bit. But other than that, no other words came out of my mouth for the entire day.
I got off the plane in Santiago, at around 8:30, and went to get in line to get my tourist card then go through immigration, then customs. As I was standing in line for my tourist card I saw the director Lowell waiting for me, but then I saw the most familiar face of all, Mackalah. I have never been so excited to see a familiar face in my life!
We drove back to the base talking and laughing, when we got back I got to meet all the other interns. They all s
eem really nice, and one boy is even from Chico, Ca.. which is close to my hometown!
I unpacked, and set up me and Mackalah's room with my stuff, played on my computer a little and went to sleep.

Here are some pictures of what our room looks like :)











Our room.. Mackalah and trying to get out of the picture.
The bathroom...



My bed.. Mackalah let me have the big one.. and soon another girl will join us in our room on the top bunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment