Saturday, June 12, 2010

Baseball Watching/Intern Outing/ Carnival

Sorry I haven't blogged in a few days, sometimes I feel like I need to wait longer in between blogs so I can build up the suspense, and make it more interesting. I'm sorry if this is long, but I'm considering this my journal, because my other journal is conversations with God.
Anyways, Thursday and Friday were the most relaxed days I've had since I've been here and it was awesome. Thursday we picked up some of the volleyball girls and boys from two different communities and went to go watch the older boys play against another community of boys. Since I love baseball, I was easily entertained. It also helped that I had little Weme there to play around with. (a little girl that is attached to me and Jess from one of the communities). After a long day of watching that, we headed back to the base. I only had a small break because we had an intern meeting, then the big staff bible study which was really good.
Friday... started off the same as Thursday. Katy took a day off from her site and decided to join us for the day which I loved. We went to OUR field this time to play, and it was fun to watch our boys enjoy playing. Jess, Katy, and I escaped for a little bit to get some frozen yogurt, then headed back to the field to pick everyone up to head to the river to jump off some big rocks.
On the long walk down there, I shared a little devotional with the girls about the harshness of words and how sometimes what we think won't hurt someone's feelings, might have hit pretty close to home for them. It was an issue that needed to be brought up with this group, and Jess got to relate it to them personally after I was done.
Jumping off the rocks was fun, I am too scared to jump off the taller one, and get constantly made fun of for being a scaredy cat by the baseball boys. I'm okay with it, and can embrace that I really am scared of a lot! :)
Last night was also the banquet for the team that's been here for the past two weeks. We got dressed in nice clothes, had dinner, and had a little goodbye ceremony for them. I got to know this team pretty well, considering I didn't have any specifically at the girls sports site. I wasn't as attached as some of the other interns, but i'm hoping since I have two high schoolers this next week that I will build great relationships with them.
After the banquet, four of the girl interns decided we wanted a night out. I was already planning on going out, b/c Jess had invited me. But it was fun to invite Angie, Mackalah, and Katy as well. I knew that they were just as excited as me to have some independence and get off the base. We also found out that we didn't have a curfew for once and were super pumped!
We went to a carnival. A Dominican version of a carnival. There were about 3 rides, all looking equally old and rickety. I only went on one, and it was the scariest one! The ferris wheel. Now your typical ferris wheel is a nice fun ride to check out the scenery and have a nice chat. NO. Not in the DR. This ferris wheel was about 30 feet high, and went around so fast I felt sick. I sat in the middle between Jess and Danjelly ( I don't think that's how it's spelled, but he's one of the boys from the sports site.. he's about 18 maybe? it's hard to tell age here haha) I linked arms with both of them and held on for my life. I lost my voice for the rest of the night b/c i was screaming NO so much and screaming b/c I was so scared. Jess LOVED to tip the cart we were on to make it scarier, and I saw my life flash before me a few times :) But i'm glad I did it :)
Today, since it's our FREE weekend, we slept in. YAY! Ah one of the best feelings ever. Then we just all hung out most of the morning, played some games, ate lunch, and got ready for the day. We went into Santiago, which is about 40 min away. It's a big city, and we got to explore a little. We went to the monument, the DR version of a walmart, a tourist market, and TGI Fridays. YES, the real TGI Fridays. AMERICAN FOOD. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I smelled the familiar aromas when I walked in to the restaurant. It was so good, and well worth the spent day. As well as lots of laughter with all the other interns, with some good memories made. We added one more intern to our group on Thursday, her name is Laurel. We are still getting to know her, but she seems really nice! We have two more coming tomorrow, and Mackalah and I are adding one to our room, which we are a little nervous about b/c we are so close and kinda weird, we hope that she is too :)
Tomorrow, Coach Ivan is coming to pick me up so I can spend the day with him, his wife, and his group of high schoolers from Greenville. I'm really excited to spend some time with him in his home country! We are going to some waterfalls, and then a country club to eat and swim. I know i'll be exhausted tomorrow night, but I can't wait for some good quality time spent with the Estevez's! I'll blog again soon :)

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your adventures and knowing how to pray for you and your team. Hope you have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete