Wednesday, June 2, 2010

First few busy days

I find myself thinking with every event that happens, "Oh my gosh I HAVE to blog that!"
I am constantly looking at Mackalah and saying that, good thing she knows me well enough to know exactly what I'm thinking before I even say it :)

Ayi yi yi.. it's been a BUSY couple of days. I'm hoping that my body can get used to it so i'm not so tired in the afternoons and can give my full attention to everything and everyone around me. Yesterday we had our first worship time with the first outreach group we have here. There are about 3 different groups, with a total of 17 people all together. One of the groups is from Chico, CA which is SO close to my house, so it's fun to see in actuality how SMALL the world really is.

There are 7 interns, 4 girls and 3 boys. I am lucky enough to have already gone on an outreach to the Dominican with Katy, so we know each other :) and then of course having one of my best friends here as my roommate makes my days complete.

Yesterday was orientation for the outreach group that is here, and as interns we need to know everything that they are doing, so just this first time we had to attend. Then we had lunch and headed out to our sites for the day. Jess (my site leader who is only a year and a half older than me, and we are a LOT alike) and I don't have a group this outreach, so I am just getting some quality time with her, which is WONDERFUL. Our personalities are so much alike, we have already had some awesome talks, and I thank God and am so blessed to get to spend the majority of my summer with her.
Today was her birthday, and we made so many cookies and a big cake for it. Also.. I had two BIG accomplishments today.. i DROVE here.. and I had to ask for a receipt in spanish by myself. Jess knows that I'll only learn if i'm forced to do certain things, so it's good for me!

Tonight was Jess's birthday party, and she asked me to join. It was really fun but also frustrating b/c don't know Spanish and everyone else there spoke Spanish. I am learning a little, but not enough to communicate, which is very different for me to be a quiet person rather than the center of attention. It's probably a good thing! :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm praying for you this summer! Can't wait to hear more about your life in the DR! Keep the great updates coming! Love you cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO proud of you, Cristi! Esp. for putting yourself in new & uncomfortable situations, so you can serve others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go cuz! I am reading your posts and getting teary eyed...to think of what God has done in your life, the way that you are following Him, listening to Him, and walking w/ Him close enough to hear Him call you to the DR for the summer!!! My heart is overjoyed!!! Give Macklah a hug for me...and pretend it's me hugging you!!!
    Love, Kara

    ReplyDelete