Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Feeling Free

These past few days, I've been pondering what God is going to teach me while i'm here.
I don't think I've found the answer quite yet. But I know he is continually teaching me different things.
This weekend was awesome to me, I feel like I really bonded with the interns a lot more than I have been, and we just all seem to click. At our weekly bible study on Sunday night, we started talking about the book Crazy Love. I've read a few chapters before, but I feel like this is going to be a really good opportunity to learn with our group.
Sunday morning at church we met a fellow group of Americanas as we are always called, and it was cool to see some other people doing mission work in Jarabacoa that aren't associated with Students International.
A new group of students came for just this week. Except they aren't students.. they are all adults, and mostly couples from one church. The head pastor and his wife, the college group pastor and his wife, the worship pastor and his wife and a few others. The head pastor,the college pastor, and the worship leader are all at the boy's sports site but since i'm there almost everyday I've gotten to know them a little bit. They are very interesting to talk to, and one of them even reminds me of my dad. It made me miss him and my family a lot today. I also think that these older pastoral men have a lot to teach me.
God has been working in my life, I am completely immersed in his word every morning during devotions, and have been having daily conversations with him by journaling.
Last night was the Servants Challenge. It's a time when we can have some really alone time with God, and with a partner of your choosing you was each other's feet and pray for each other. Mackalah and I of course were partners. But the crazy thing was, when we asked each other what to pray for, we both had already known the other's answer. God was really using both of us to speak to each other in a way we've never experienced before and it was so great.
Yesterday at the site, I got a new nickname from one of the 7 year old boys. Besides Cristina, Catcha, and Cristi.. I have now adopted.. "cute eyebrows" which in spanish is las cejas linda. Which was SO weird to me haha. Jess and I have had a few good laughs over it since then, so it's probably worth it to have to hear it haha.
Today, was English class in the morning. Put up a quick prayer for two of my girls Kasey and Lili, they took a big English test today to get into a WONDERFUL school called Duolos. They are so smart, they need to be there!
During siesta (the countrywide 2 hour lunch break), we went to a baseball players house for lunch. The food was amazing as always. Then after lunch we started the long trek down to the riverfront to play some games. I saw some crazy dark clouds, but decided to ignore them since it has rained EVERY afternoon we have been here. We started walking and it started pouring. And I mean... the BIGGEST water droplets I have ever seen. There was no coverings or anything anywhere, so my only choice in my dry clothes and tennis shoes was to get soaked. At first I hated it, and was worried about my belongings getting wet. But we found an umbrella and someone carried all the bags under the umbrella. I've never experienced a freeing feeling like that before. It was like.. all was right with the world in just that moment b/c I was so out of control about how my body felt. No matter how cold or wet I was becoming, we reached the riverfront, there is a huge parking lot there that we played tennis ball baseball in, in the pouring rain. It was a BLAST. A moment I'll never forget. I love being the only girl with Jess at this site for right now, we get along with these boys as if they were our own brothers, and it's so nice not to have to impress anyone! I think i've worn makeup only a couple times since i've been here :)



No comments:

Post a Comment