Thursday, June 24, 2010

An Exciting Couple of Days!

So I left you all with the beginning of the week that I considered to be EXTREMELY long. Well, it kinda was.. but now that it's coming to an end, I don't really know how I feel about it. One, it makes me think of how I only have a little less than three weeks left, and two.. I've really connected with some of the high schoolers and I'm going to miss them a lot.
So Monday and Tuesday were pretty chill days, which was nice. I've created for myself somewhat of a social life since I've been here. Which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that is reading this whatsoever. We "work" all day, then dinner and then if we don't have to help out with the activity for that evening we try to make other plans. Our newest hangout has been in Cristo Rey, which is the place where the baseball site is. We go with Jess and watch the men play softball, which they are so awesome at. My guy friends that I'm always hanging out with are always there. My friend Moreno and I have been having more conversations lately, but there is a language barrier there b/c he only speaks Spanish and I only speak English, but I really am learning a lot and am trying to get better at it and he is working on English so it's working.. kinda!
Tuesday we went on the prayer walk in the evening for about an hour. I was given a group of 5 high school students, by myself, and we walked around the community of Cristo Rey. The instructions were, that if we felt led to stop and pray somewhere then we did it. Somehow, I got with the 5 high schoolers that I am the closest with. Which I was a little nervous about, because I wasn't sure how involved they would get, or how serious they would take it. It ended up going beyond my expectations. They started a lot of the prayers and the stops we made. But it did make me think, did I pray like that in high school? Did I pray without a lot of passion, but really did mean it? I'm not saying that my praying abilities are so amazing. Because I truly do believe that no matter what your prayer is or how it's prayed, God hears it. This made me look back at see how much I've matured over the years, and made me feel a little accomplished, but also SO proud of my high schoolers as the same time.
Wednesday was one of THE best days I've had here so far. You wanna know why? I really felt like I accomplished a LOT. Remember the game that I blogged about a bit ago that we were trying to get organized for the girls? Well it finally happened! With the help of Raul, we scheduled a game in La Vega, which is about 40 min away. We took two trucks, one for all the volleyball girls and then some, and one for all the baseball guys. They were supposed to have a game, but it got cancelled because of the rain, and they still came to support us, which was so cool! The place we ended up going to ended up being really nice and inside. When I say really nice, I mean it was still a concrete court, and there was no air condition, and no lights inside only natural light from the tons of little blocks cut out. Jess and I have been coaching the younger girls, so that was the most important game. Then we brought a few older girls, and used our two high school girls (who don't play volleyball) and me and Jess to play as well :)
It was fun being a volleyball coach again. ( I coached a 6th grade team for my high school senior project and these girls were about that same age.) And at first we were a little nervous b/c the other girls were all wayy bigger than our girls, and a little older too. But we ended up winning the first two games, and since it was 2 out of 3 it was over. It was a great feeling! Next came the big girls games. I haven't played competitively since high school, so this was so weird, but I loved being back in the competitive mode and getting into it. The guys were so supportive, and my proudest moment was jumping up to block a ball (which never happens b/c I'm so short), and actually getting a little bit of a hand on it and slowing it down! It was awesome :) The only downfall was, we were playing the National team. And they were all so awesome, but we only ended up losing each game by like 6, so that was an accomplishment, at the end we had a little devotional and then Jess exchanged numbers with the coach and one of the girls in order to set up more games in the future. Our goal is to go there once every outreach, and my heart leaped for joy when Jess turned me to as we were walking out and said, "Cristi look what you did, this was all your idea!" My immediate thought was Thank you Lord, you have helped me really be involved :)
Today, we went on that tiring hike again. But this time seemed to be SO much easier since I've done it once before, and I actually faced a fear and slid down the rock water slide. My fear of heights is so evident, but I'm trying little things :)
Tomorrow is the last day with these students from this outreach, and I don't know what to expect.. but i DO hate goodbyes.. with a passion.

Prayer Requests:
Clarity on some confusing thoughts..
Safe Travels for these teams as they head back home to the states..
Rest for me and Jess this weekend..
my family as they are on vacation :)

Thanks everyone.. sorry it's long :)

1 comment:

  1. Way to "jump back in the saddle" with your volleyball skills! I remember the first time my family was on vacation without me. It was really hard, but I felt really grown up. Guess what? You're grown up! So proud of you and what you're doing to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete