Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Relaxing Weekend.. Then at it again..

This weekend was very relaxing, and at a couple times boring compared to what I have been doing. But it was really nice to relax and hang out with the interns, as well as some sunbathing thrown in :)
A new team came on Monday, a team of all high schoolers. There are some from Bakersfield Christian Highschool (in Cali) and then some from a church in Ohio. At first I was like yay high schoolers! I can relate to them, this will be fun! My thoughts changed somewhat fast yesterday :)
Yesterday we had worship in the morning, and then had lunch and sat with our individual sites. I have two girls this week; Emily and Danielle (or DJ). Emily is a sweet skinny little blonde 15 year old who loves to talk and is always smiling. Danielle, is a tomboy, and when I say tomboy I really do mean tom boy. She loves any sport she can get her hands on, and her favorite is motocross, and riding her dirtbike. That says it all right there. She is a very nice girl, and her intentions are awesome, she's ready to serve the Lord and help people out. The only hesitation is wanting to always be one of the boys. I've found that there is a big difference between kidding around with the boys in a friendly non-flirty way, and literally being with the boys and being one of them all the time. The problem is, the Dominican boys don't see it that way. They see it as a girl who constantly wants to be around them and do the things they do, and that's cool to them. But getting the attention of the boys is the last thing we want to get involved in. In the past, there has been a girl who came on an outreach, and left to go back to the states with her heart with one of the boys from the baseball site. "Special Relationships" are strictly prohibited to staff ( until they have been here at least 2 years), interns, and outreach teams. It takes away from the purpose of being on a missions trip. And i completely agree. It's a little hard for me and Jess, because the relationship we have with some of the older boys is so different, they are like my brothers, and I in turn their sister. There is an understanding of no relationship being able to go anywhere, so it's not even worth trying :)
In other news, today was the second day with the girls and they are hard-workers. I know that they look up to both me and Jess, so I have to be constantly aware of my actions, and learn patience in dealing with attitudes :) Today we taught English in the morning at the baseball field, played around a little, ate lunch, and played volleyball all afternoon.
Oh I forgot! Yesterday night; Me, Mackalah, and Katy took Jess's car (she lets me use it sometimes to have a social life :)) to the baseball field to watch a men's softball game with Jess and some of the guys from the baseball site. My friend Johan and I ended up playing this stupid rock, paper, scissors game. If you lost, you got punched by the winner in the arm as hard as you can. You keep going until someone can't take it anymore. Jess is pretty tough, and I certainly am not. But the boys are always calling me a scaredy cat, so I finally just did it. And today, I have a huge bruise on my left arm to prove it. Johan definitely won. We decided that we needed to make a club of these people that do these stupid games and get hurt while doing them. It's called "los masacis ( i have no idea how to spell it) but it means someone who likes pain for fun haha.
That's definitely not me, but oh well :)
I felt since I've been here that I am not doing as much as I would like to, to a certain extent. So I asked Jess if the girls were ever going to play in a tournament or anything. She was like no but that's a great idea! So we talked to Raul, and we are gonna start kinda slow at first. We are planning to play one game against a team in a different community called La Vega. Raul is planning is perfectly so that the boys will be playing a game there as well. That way we can all cheer each other on. That means that in practice this week, we have told the girls that they need to work hard and we will pick the best 8 to play in the game. I'm really excited and hope it works out!
Prayer requests:
The game against La Vega!
More bonding, and patience with my high school girls
Me being able to be a good example :)

No comments:

Post a Comment